Hello White Center Heights Families and Community Members,
I am entering my third year as principal of White Center Heights in 2014-15. I am committed to working with families, teachers, and our community partners to support our students to achieve great things!
I have worked in public education for a long time. Before coming to White Center Heights I was the Assistant Principal at Madrona Elementary in Sea Tac. I was a classroom teacher and literacy coach in Bellevue and Seattle. I have been an instructor at the University of Washington in the Teacher Education program. Early in my career I was a classroom teacher, district consultant, and school principal in Australia.
My vision for WCH Elementary is that when our students leave WCH Elementary, they are ready for middle school and beyond. This means they will be:
- Academically successful by being confident and capable with the Common Core State Standards;
- Self-disciplined to work independently, remain focused on their learning, and make good choices;
- Proud of their heritage and compassionate towards others in the community; and,
- Able to communicate and build good relationships with adults and other children.
We have amazing teachers and staff at WCH. They work hard every day to ensure our children learn. But we need help and support from our families and community members. We need to work together – teachers and families and administration and community members - working with our children to ensure they are successful and confident people.
At WCH Elementary we will be focusing on the district goals for all students to meet the new Common Core State Standards and to reach zero out-of-school suspensions. In 2014-15 we will:
- implement standards-based teaching and assessment to ensure all our students meet the new standards;
- implement the workshop model in reading, writing, and math to ensure students get lots of opportunities to demonstrate independence on the standards and to differentiate instruction so students meet standards;
- implement more inquiry-based learning so students are engaged in meaningful learning that demands higher level thinking;
- build on our PBIS (positive discipline) work to decrease the number of out-of-school suspensions by 30-50%.
I look forward to working with you all to ensure our students find success in 2014-15.
Anne Reece (PhD)