Hello White Center Heights Families and Community Members,
I in my fifth year as principal of White Center Heights in
2016-17. I am committed to working with families, teachers, and our
community partners to support our students to achieve great things!
I have worked in public education for a long time. Before coming to White
Center Heights I was the Assistant Principal at Madrona Elementary in Sea
Tac. I was a classroom teacher and literacy coach in Bellevue and Seattle.
I have been an instructor at the University of Washington in the Teacher
Education program. Early in my career I was a classroom teacher,
district consultant, and school principal in Australia.
My vision for WCH Elementary students is that when they leave us they are ready for middle school and beyond. This means they will be:
- Academically successful and confident and capable with the Common Core State Standards;
- Self-disciplined to work independently, remain focused
on their learning, and make good choices;
- Proud of their heritage and understand and respect the heritage of others in the community; and,
- Able to communicate and build strong relationships with
adults and other children.
We have amazing teachers and staff
at WCH. They work hard every day to ensure our children learn. But we need help
and support from our families and community members. We need to work
together – teachers and families and administration and community members -
working with our students to ensure they are successful and confident people.
At WCH Elementary we will be focusing on the district goals for all students
to meet the new Common Core State Standards and to reach zero out-of-school
- Improve our implementation of standards-based teaching
and assessment to ensure all students master the Common Core and other State Standards;
- Use rubrics to assess student learning and teach
students how to self-assess and become teachers in their learning;
- Refine the way we use readers, writers, and math
workshop to build student independence and to
differentiate instruction to ensure students meet standards;
- Expand our use of computer based instruction to ensure
personalized learning for all students during our workshop rotation choices for workshops;
- Monitor student learning and the effectiveness of our practices for White
Center Heights students;
- Use the RULER and Collaborative Problem Solving to build
on our PBIS (positive discipline) work to decrease the number of office
referrals by 30-50%. and work towards zero suspensions, and;
- Improve student attendance by increasing our average daily attendance to 95% and advance the school goal of no more than one absence per month for each student.
I look forward to working with you
all to ensure our students find success in 2016-17.
Dr. Anne Reece