Is My Child Too Sick for School?
Your child is too sick to attend school when they:
- Are unusually tired, pale, has a lack of appetite, are difficult to wake, confused, or irritable.
- Have red eyes: Thick mucous or pus draining from the eye. Itchy eyes that have crust on eyelids after sleep, may need to be evaluated by a physician for "pink eye" or conjunctivitis.
- Have a temperature of 100 degrees Fahrenheit or higher. A child must be fever free for 24 hours before returning to school.
- Have a sore throat, with a fever or swollen glands in the neck. (If a child has strep throat they are able to return to school after 24 hours of appropriate treatment.)
- Have diarrhea, three or more loose stools in a 24-hour period.
- Are vomiting, two or more times within 24 hours.
- Have a rash, especially with a fever, itching, or swelling.
- Any ear pain with a fever should be evaluated by a physician.