The secretary of the board shall keep the minutes of all board meetings. Minutes become official after approval by the board and shall be retained as a permanent record of the district. Minutes shall be comprehensive and shall show:
- The date, time and place of the meeting.
- The presiding officer.
- Members in attendance.
- Items discussed during the meeting and the results of any voting that may have occurred.
- Action to recess for executive session with a general statement of the purpose.
- Time of adjournment.
- Signature of presiding officer and date minutes approved.
When issues are discussed that may require a detailed record, the board may direct the secretary to record the discussion. Audio or video recordings shall be maintained on file as follows:
- If the recording is transcribed verbatim (word for word), the recording may be destroyed after one (1) year.
- If the recording is only used as a reference to create written minutes, the recording must be retained for six (6) years.
Unofficial minutes shall be delivered to board members in advance of the next regularly scheduled meeting of the board and shall also be available to other interested citizens.
Minutes need not be read publicly, provided that members have had an opportunity to review them before adoption.
A file of permanent minutes of all board meetings will be maintained in the office of the board secretary to be made available for inspection upon the request of any interested citizen.
Superintendent's duties - RCW 28A.400.030
Destruction, disposition, donation of local government records - Preservation for historical interest - Local records committee, duties - Record retention schedules - Sealed record - RCW 40.14.070
Public meetings – Minutes - RCW 42.32.030
Retention of Board Meeting Minutes - Policy News, April 2010
Highline School District 401
Adopted by the Board: March 1983
Revised by the Board: 8.03, 9.08, 5.10