Pursuant to the Equal Access Act, the board authorizes non-curriculum-related student groups to meet before, after school or during non-instructional time, subject to the approval of the principal. Such approval shall be granted provided that activities of the group are not disruptive to school operations and the members of the group comply with the rules established by the superintendent and/or school principal. The board authorizes the superintendent or designee to develop administrative procedures to create or maintain this “limited open forum.”
The principal shall approve the non-curriculum-related student meeting or activity provided that:
- The meeting shall be voluntary and initiated by students.
- The school or its staff shall not be a sponsor of the group.
- The meeting shall not materially and substantially interfere with the orderly operation of the school.
- Students shall be responsible for the direction, control and conduct of the meeting. Guests must be registered and must not be regular participants.
- The use of public funds for other than incidental and/or monitoring costs shall not be permitted. Funds acquired by non-curriculum-related student groups shall be held in an associated student body account which shall be accessible by that student group.
- A staff member shall not be compelled to attend when the meeting is contrary to his/her belief.
- The constitutional rights of all persons shall be respected.
The principal shall be responsible for the assignment of a room and for the approval and/or assignment of a staff member to monitor the meeting.
Co-curricular Program - Policy 2120
Highline School District 401
Adopted by the Board: January 2008