As population and enrollment shifts within the district, changes in attendance areas or transfer of students may be necessary. By mid-May of each school year, the district will analyze the next year's forecasted enrollment and may consider student transfers in those attendance areas where enrollments are substantially in excess of the class size guidelines.
The following considerations shall be included when planning boundary changes and student transfers:
- The district shall give priority to minimizing the disruption of the students' established relationships with a school.
- The district shall try to maintain neighborhood groupings when making transfers.
- The district will try to keep siblings in the same elementary school.
- Prior to the implementation of any planned transfer of students, the district shall invite parents of students involved in such planned transfer to a meeting at which the district will explain and have discussion on the planned change. If the principal deems appropriate, students may also be invited to such meetings.
- The building principal will arrange an orientation to the new school for transferred students.
- The district will give preference to students residing within an attendance area over non-resident students.
When fall enrollments in an attendance area are in excess of class size guidelines, parents/guardians may request that their son or daughter be enrolled in a school in another attendance area.
Highline School District 401
Adopted by the Board: August 1985