Highline Public Schools
15675 Ambaum Blvd. SW Burien, WA 98166

Office Hours:

Monday-Friday: 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Highline Public Schools
15675 Ambaum Blvd. SW Burien, WA 98166

You Are About To Leave the Highline Public Schools Website

You are now leaving the Highline website and will be redirected to a third-party application or website. This site may have advertisements or other content not necessarily endorsed or approved by Highline Public Schools. 


All students attending school in the Highline School District will be assigned to the elementary, middle school and high school, which serves the attendance service area within which they reside, except for students who are granted a transfer under one of the district's approved transfer categories.

The district assignment and transfer procedures support the district’s primary goal of serving students within their assigned neighborhood elementary, middle, or high school, or within the district’s schools of choice and alternative schools.

The assignment, special placement, or transfer of students shall take into consideration the district's goals, transfer categories, and space availability. All resident students who are granted school transfers shall be assigned to that school (unless otherwise stated in procedures) through the highest-grade level of that school.

The Superintendent or designee shall develop student assignment and transfer procedures to implement this policy.

Reporting Transfers out of the District

When students move out of the district without notification of where they will be enrolling once they have moved, it can be challenging to know how to report the transfer appropriately and ensure the student’s educational records are forwarded. To address these challenges, the district will follow the Comprehensive Education Data and Research System (CEDARS) Reporting Guidance for reporting students as confirmed or unconfirmed transfers both inside and outside of Washington.

To confirm the transfer of a student who has emigrated to another country, the district will obtain written confirmation, but need not obtain an “official” writing. This means that if a parent/guardian or other person listed as an emergency contact in the district’s Student Information System (SIS) informs a school administrator that the student is leaving the country, and the administrator documents the conversation in writing and includes it in the student’s file, the district may report the out of country transfer as confirmed.

Highline School District 401
Adopted by the Board: April 1989
Revised by the Board: 08.91, 01.99, 01.10, 01.19, 12.20
Classification:  Discretionary