Highline Public Schools
15675 Ambaum Blvd. SW Burien, WA 98166

Office Hours:

Monday-Friday: 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Highline Public Schools
15675 Ambaum Blvd. SW Burien, WA 98166

You Are About To Leave the Highline Public Schools Website

You are now leaving the Highline website and will be redirected to a third-party application or website. This site may have advertisements or other content not necessarily endorsed or approved by Highline Public Schools. 


The district considers applications for the enrollment of students who reside outside of the district’s boundaries. Non-resident enrollment applications are considered as long as the anticipated needs of resident students are met first. The application process takes into consideration instructional and projected capacity; financial hardship on Highline Public Schools’ resources; and other factors as outlined in procedure 3141. Applications from students of district employees are processed first, followed by students who wish to continue in their current school, then by applications for siblings whose sibling will be in the same school. All other applications will be processed in the order received. Some schools, grades, or programs may be closed to non-resident enrollment. Non-resident applications are not placed on a waitlist.

Non-resident assignments are effective for one year only and are not continued for the next year. Non-residents enrolled in the district must re-apply for assignment each year. Each school year, non-resident applications are accepted during the timeline set forth in procedure 3141.

If a non-resident application is denied, the parent/guardian may appeal the decision by requesting a hearing through the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) in Olympia.

Non-resident student: The residency of a student is the place where the student eats, sleeps, and otherwise finds their principal place of residence. A non-resident student is a student enrolled or seeking entrance to a district in which they do not reside.

New non-resident application: An application is considered “new” when a non-resident student is not currently attending Highline Public Schools or is a student who is applying to a school that the student has not previously attended.

Renewal non-resident application: An application is considered a “renewal” when a non-resident student is applying for attendance at the school that the student is currently attending.

A Highline Public School resident who moves out of the district mid-year and who requests to continue at the school they are currently attending is considered a “renewal” non-resident. Current residents who move mid-year and who wish to change schools, or who wish to attend a different school next year are considered “new” non-residents.

Cross Reference:
Board Policy 3120; Board Policy 3132

Legal Reference:
RCW 28A.225.220; RCW 28A.225.230; RCW 28A.225.300

Highline School District 401
Adopted by the Board: August 28, 1985
Revised by the Board: 05.89, 02.97, 12.97, 05.19