The Highline School District shall allow limited election campaigning on designated district property as follows:
1. Election campaigning must be conducted in a non-coercive and peaceful manner. The phrase "election campaigning" is limited to campaign activities related to measures or races currently on an official Washington State election ballot.
2. Election campaigning under this policy shall be limited to those common access areas outside of district buildings, such as sidewalks and parking lots. Persons engaged in election campaigning shall not do so within twenty feet of any entrance or outside doorway, nor shall such persons obstruct or impede the movement of students, district personnel, or any other individuals present on district property. Election campaigning shall not take place on playgrounds, recreational fields, or in stadiums.
3. Election campaigning where school programs or activities are held during regular instructional times shall cease at least fifteen minutes before any school bus arrives with students at the start of the school day, school program or school activity, or fifteen minutes before the beginning of the school day, school program or school activity, whichever is earlier, and may not commence until at least fifteen minutes after the last school bus has removed students from school, school program or school activity, or fifteen minutes after the close of the school day, school program or school activity, whichever is later.
4. Access to the district property described herein shall be allowed on a nondiscriminatory, equal access basis, and shall not be used to assist any particular candidate's campaign or to promote or oppose any particular ballot proposition.
5. Where district property functions as a polling place, persons taking part in election campaigning shall not engage in acts prohibited by RCW 29.51.020.
The superintendent or designee shall develop appropriate procedures to implement and enforce this policy.
Highline School District 401
Adopted by the Board: February 1994
Revised by the Board: 06.01, 11.03