As trustee of local, state, and federal funds allocated for use in public education, the board shall be vigilant in fulfilling its responsibility to see that these funds are used wisely for achievement of the purposes to which they are allocated. The Board is committed to using the District’s Equity Lens, as found in Policy and Procedure 0010, when determining the equitable fiscal practices for the district.
The board's goals for district fiscal management, including budget development, are:
- To distribute Highline resources in a way that considers equity in a student-centered mindset to eliminate or significantly reduce systemic, measurable inequities in achievement.
- To ensure open communication with staff, families and community as to how the district strategies are guiding resource allocation decisions.
- To keep in mind the long-term fiscal and academic impacts of any budget decision.
- To recognize the importance of and maintain adequate resources for operational support for schools, staffs, and students.
- To provide timely and appropriate information to staff who have fiscal management responsibilities.
- To establish maximum efficiency procedures for accounting, reporting, business, purchasing and delivery, payroll, payment of vendors and contractors, and all other areas of fiscal management.
- To establish a strong system of internal control to safeguard district assets, to assure management that financial transactions occur as intended, and to protect employees.
Highline School District 401
Adopted by the Board: August 1986
Revised by the Board 04.03, 02.20 (formerly 7000)