I. The type of dress, apparel, activities, acts, behavior or manner of grooming displayed, reflected or participated in by the student shall not:
A. Lead school officials to reasonably believe that such behavior, apparel, activities, acts, or other attributes are gang related and would disrupt or interfere with the school environment or activity and/or educational objectives;
B. Present a physical safety hazard to self, students, staff, and other employees;
C. Create an atmosphere in which a student, staff, or other person's well-being is hindered by undue pressure, behavior, intimidation, overt gesture or threat of violence; or
D. Imply gang membership or affiliation by written communication, tattoos, drawing, painting, design, emblem upon any school or personal property or on one's person.
II. Portable communication equipment such as Cellular phone and pagers, whether operational or not, will not be allowed on school district premises by students unless acceptable written documentation is provided to the school by the parent or guardian that the presence of such is essential to the health and well being of the student.
III. Students identified as being gang involved, influenced or affiliated shall be provided assistance and/or programs which discourage gang involvement or affiliation, enhance self esteem, encourage interest and participation in school or other positive activities and promote membership in authorized school organizations.
IV. Except in an extenuating or exceptional circumstance, the following discipline shall apply: First Offense: 1. The principal/designee will confront the student and identify the specific violation that has occurred.
2. The principal/designee will review with the student Board Policy 3245 and related procedures and have the student sign a statement acknowledging that he/she has been so informed.
3. The principal/designee will notify, if appropriate, parents/guardians of the violation and ask for their assistance.
4. The principal/designee shall apply short-term suspension, if appropriate.
5. The principal/designee shall notify district security, if appropriate.
1. The principal/designee shall recommend long-term suspension or expulsion, if warranted.
2. The principal/designee shall notify the district security office.
1. The principal/designee will follow the same procedures as set forth for the second offense except that for a third offense the student shall be recommended for expulsion.
2. Any offense which occurs within 36 months after the second offense shall be considered cause for immediate expulsion.
V. Training to provide increased awareness of the threat to the safety of students, staff and school property which gang-related activity poses, shall be provided by security on an asneeded basis. Additional presentations shall be made available to individual schools, staff or students at the request of the principal. Presentations shall provide training in current identification symbols used by those involved in gang-related activity and shall include things such as the identification of hand signals, apparel, jewelry, and/or any other pertinent gang-related information.
Highline School District 401
Approved by the Superintendent: October 25, 1989
Revised by the Superintendent: 01.91