When inclement weather or other emergency forces school closures, late starts or early dismissal of students, announcements will be made on most local radio stations. When the early morning radio announcements do not mention the Highline School District, all schools will be on time, all buses will run regular routes, and all employees will report for work at their regular times.
A. If the announcement is that Highline schools will start one hour or two hours late:
1. Classes for students will begin one or two hours later than normal but will dismiss at the regular time. If there is a two-hour late school start, morning kindergartens and pre-schools will be cancelled that day. Afternoon kindergarten will be at its regularly scheduled time.
2. Bus drivers and bus monitors will report to work one or two hours later than their usual time depending on the students' schedule.
3. All other employees will make an effort to be on the job at the regular time.
B. If the announcement is that Highline schools will be closed:
1. Teachers, instructional assistants, bus drivers, bus monitors, food service workers and other employees whose contracts coincide with the student school year calendar will not report to work.
2. Elementary and middle school office managers will not report to work unless they have been previously instructed by their principal to do so.
3. All other district employees, including building administrators, high school office managers, custodians and central office personnel, are to be on the job at their usual times if reasonably possible.
C. When the announcement is that the Highline School District, including administrative offices, is closed:
Employees are not expected to report for work that day unless personally notified to do so by their supervisor.
D. When the announcement is that the Highline schools will dismiss early because of weather or other emergency:
1. School administrators may dismiss staffs as soon as students are safely on their way home.
2. Other district employees, including second shift custodians, will complete their normal workdays unless advised by the superintendent through their supervisors to leave early.
Highline School District 401
Adopted by the Board: October 1992
Revised by the Board: 08.00