The following steps shall be taken upon evidence that school property has been damaged or lost, whether or not the action was willful:
1. Damage to school property shall be reported to the security department and school principal.
2. A Damage or Loss Report shall be submitted to the superintendent. In the event of a break-in, the security department shall report the occurrence to a law enforcement agency, when appropriate. Care shall be taken to avoid damaging prints or any other evidence that may be associated with the break-in.
3. An investigation to establish the individuals responsible for acts of vandalism or theft shall be initiated.
4. Repair or replacement costs for damage shall be estimated by the maintenance department on a work request form.
5. The business office upon receipt of the damage or loss report shall bill the student's parent for the repair or replacement cost.
Highline School District 401
Adopted by the Board: August 1984