Listening Tour Feedback
The listening tour included:
- 27 focus groups of students, staff, families and community stakeholders
- 5 in-person community meetings
- 2 virtual community meetings
- 1 online ThoughtExchange
- Online ThoughtExchange
- Visits to every school
- Meetings with departments, employee association partners and community partners
The listening tour feedback shaped the development of a new strategic plan.
"I am committed to courageous goals for every student, grounded in equity and driven by a sincere belief in our students' abilities and their aspirations for the future," Dr. Duran
AREAS OF FOCUS
Based on the listening tour feedback, we found we need to focus on:
- Creating inclusive school cultures where students experience a sense of belonging.
- Providing exceptional and equitable experiences that result in better outcomes for students.
- Preparing our students for the future they choose.
- Ensuring operational efficiency and excellence.
The listening tour identified several strengths including:
- Students report being known by name and having at least one meaningful relationship with an adult at their school.
- Students can articulate their strengths and feel their strengths are acknowledged by adults.
- Families express a deep sense of gratitude and growing satisfaction with Highline.
- Staff and board members share a deep dedication to the communities they serve and to equitable practice and policy.
AREAS OF IMPROVEMENT
The listening tour also highlighted areas where we need to improve. In Highline, we must:
- Ensure every student feels safe and welcome at school and address bullying.
- Provide academic experiences that stretch and challenge students and prepare them for future success.
- Improve policies, practices and programs to provide consistent support to students receiving special education services.
- Strengthen the partnership between schools and central office in support of students.
- Recommit to the Highline Promise to achieve equity and focus our efforts on the strategic plan goals.
- Offer equitable opportunities to students across schools.