Phase One: Building Relationships & Listening
AUGUST - OCTOBER 2022
- Establish collaborative working relationships within the district and community
- Listen to learn the current student experience
- Learn about the initiatives in the district, including what is working and where we have opportunities for improvement
I am eager to listen and learn as I meet with our district team, students, families, staff, stakeholders, and community members.
We are holding seven community meetings to hear from families and community members. Each board member will host a meeting with me in the director’s region. An additional two meetings will be held virtually to ensure the meetings are accessible to as many people as possible. The virtual meetings will include information and an opportunity to ask questions about the November bond.
- October 6, 7:00-8:00 p.m., Tyee High School - District 4, Director Howell
- October 10, 6:30-7:30 p.m., PSSC - District 2, Director Alvarez
- October 11, 6:30-7:30 p.m., Highline High School - District 3, Director Van
- October 12, 6:30-7:30 p.m., Evergreen High School - District 1, Director Garcia
- October 17, 6:00-7:00 p.m., Virtual Find Zoom Link
- NEW DATE: November 1, 6:30-7:30 p.m., Mount Rainier High School - District 5, Director Hagos
- November 3, 6:00-7:00 p.m., Virtual Find Zoom Link
We are partnering with the Center for Educational Leadership (CEL) to conduct over 20 focus groups with students, families, staff, and community members. To truly understand the student experience, the majority of the focus groups will be with students. The purpose of these focus groups is to:
- Better understand how students are experiencing school and the Highline Promise
- Learn how equity and equity leadership are defined and supported in Highline
I will visit every school in the first month of the school year. I am looking forward to engaging with our students, staff, and school communities to learn about their experiences and what supports they need.
Additional Staff Engagement
- Department Meetings: I am meeting with every department to get to know the team and learn about how its work supports students and the strategic plan.
- Employee Association Partners: I meet regularly with the district’s employee association partners to collaborate and address challenges.
Additional Stakeholder Engagement
- Meetings with community leaders, partners, and organizations
- Surveys to gather feedback from those who cannot attend one of the community meetings or prefer to engage electronically
- Monthly office hours for students, staff, or community members to meet with me