Highline offers elementary dual language programs at Hilltop, Madrona, Mount View and White Center Heights elementary schools. We offer kindergarten dual language at Hazel Valley and Midway, with plans to expand schoolwide in the coming years. Secondary programs are available at Cascade Middle School and Evergreen High School, with plans to expand at the new Glacier Middle School in 2019.
Students in Highline’s dual language programs receive 50% of their instruction in English and 50% in Spanish or Vietnamese and are taught by qualified bilingual teachers. The program includes native speakers of English, Spanish, Vietnamese and many other languages.
- Elementary students learn reading and writing in both languages, math in English, and science, social studies and health in Spanish or Vietnamese.
- Middle and high school students have at least one language arts course and one content course taught in Spanish (or Vietnamese starting in 2019).
The goals of the dual language program are to help students:
- Become bilingual and biliterate, developing high levels of proficiency in two languages.
- Perform at or above grade level in academic areas in both languages.
- Demonstrate positive cross-cultural attitudes and behaviors.
You can learn more about our dual language programs by watching this video.