Highline offers elementary dual language programs at Hilltop, Madrona, Mount View and White Center Heights elementary schools. We offer kindergarten to 3rd* grade dual language at Hazel Valley and Midway, with plans to expand schoolwide in the coming years. Secondary programs are available at Cascade, Chinook and Glacier middle schools and Evergreen High School with Highline High School being added for the 2021-2022 school year.
*Please note: grade level is for the 2021-2022 school year.
Students in Highline’s dual language programs receive 50% of their instruction in English and 50% in Spanish or Vietnamese and are taught by qualified bilingual teachers. The program includes students who are native speakers of English, Spanish, Vietnamese and many other languages.
- Elementary students learn reading and writing in both languages, math in English, science and health in Spanish or Vietnamese, and social studies in English, Spanish or Vietnamese.
- Middle and high school students have at least one language arts course and one content course taught in Spanish or Vietnamese.
The goals of the dual language program are to help students:
- Become bilingual and biliterate, developing high levels of proficiency in two languages.
- Perform at or above grade level in academic areas in both languages.
- Demonstrate positive cross-cultural attitudes and behaviors.
- Being bilingual is good for the brain.
- Students in a dual language program have higher academic achievement.
- Bilingual people have greater economic opportunities than people who don’t speak two languages.
- Students in a dual language program learn about and respect other cultures and languages.
- Students benefit from a dual language program most when enrolled for 6 years or more.
- After English, Spanish and Vietnamese are the most frequently spoken languages by students and families in our district.
- There are more resources and teachers available for these languages.
- There are many future job opportunities for Spanish and Vietnamese speakers in our community.
For more information about our dual language programs, please contact Language Learning at 206-631-3035.