Talk is a crucial link between parents and children: It is how parents impart their cultures to their children and enable them to become the kind of men and women they want them to be.” - Lily Wong Filmore
Web Resources for Families
Below is a list of some engaging resources for dual language families to use at home. Some sites are to support practice in Spanish, while others are to support practice in English. If you would like more resources, feel free to reach out to your child's teacher for the most relevant resources for their class content.
- Literacy Center Education Network - Spanish interactive literacy website for student practice.
- Literacy Center Education Network - English interactive literacy website for student practice.
- Primera Escuela - For English-speaking parents helping their kids to begin to learn Spanish or Spanish-speaking parents supporting their kids.
- Story Place en español - Stories illustrated and spoken en español
- Merpy Stories - Free interactive stories in Spanish…all with same character “Merpy”
Below are articles and research reports regarding Dual Language Programs across the country. The following resources are meant to help families and educators learn more about Dual Language Programs and their effectiveness towards student success for all. For additional information, please contact the Language Learning Department.
- Bilingual Pairs - An article providing an overview of a how the use of bilingual pairs in dual language classrooms can support the bilingual language development of students.
- Bilingualism at an early age - A research article that provides research-based arguments for the cognitive benefits of bilingual education at an early age.
- Dual Language Research - A presentation from a well-known dual language researcher around the benefits of dual language for all types and demographics of students.
- The Bilingual Brain - Research the describes the benefits biilngualism has on the brain extending from early childhood to old age.
- The Multiple Benefits of Dual Language - A research article written by well-known Dual Language experts that describes the impact of Dual Language on both ELLs and Native-English speakers.
- Two-Way Immersion - The Basics - An overview of the goals & structure of Dual Language program.