Camp Waskowitz HistorY
Camp Waskowitz was built by the Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) in 1935 at its present location and was named Camp North Bend. After the CCC was disbanded, the Camp was sold and later renamed after Fritz Waskowitz, who had been a football player and team captain at the University of Washington. Waskowitz later became a pilot in World War II. After he was shot down and killed, the camp was renamed in his honor.
Highline Public School began sending students to Camp Waskowitz in 1947 and later bought the property in 1957. Superintendent Carl Jensen convinced the Highline High School student body to use funds raised for a new sports stadium to buy the property with a promise that the school district would reimburse their fund. Some time later, Superintendent Jensen and the district made additional purchases of surrounding land that increased the Camp Waskowitz's acreage to its present 372 acres.
Today, Camp Waskowitz is a State and National Historic Preservation site and is one of only two remaining CCC Camps in the United States with all of the original buildings still standing.
Since the inception of the Outdoor Education program in 1947, over 200,000 students have experienced this school in the woods. The Carl Jensen Environmental Education Center at Camp Waskowitz serves the students of Highline Public Schools, as well as students from surrounding schools and districts, through environmental education and team building programs. When not in use by student groups, the facilities are available to outside groups for rent.