Families & Students
Thank you for visiting our website prior to your child's visiting Waskowitz Outdoor School. Your child's teacher will be in contact with you prior to your child's visit with all of the information and forms that you will need. Many of these forms are also available online. Please take a look at the General Information Presentation to help answer many of your questions about your child's trip to the Outdoor School at Waskowitz.
You are also welcome to join us for one of our open houses this year.
Dates for the 2019-2020 school will be posted soon!
If your child will be taking any medication during their visit to Waskowitz Outdoor Education Center, please follow these instructions:
1. All medications MUST BE MEDICALLY NECESSARY TO BE GIVEN AT WASKOWIZ. The following are examples of medications that are not necessary to have at Waskowitz, unless special circumstances exist: vitamins, herbal supplements, essential oils, cough drops and acne skin preparations.
2. All medications will ONLY be given at the following times: 8:00 a.m., 12:00 p.m. (noon), 4:00 p.m., 8:00 p.m. (bedtime), or As Needed/PRN.
3. A completed Medication Authorization Form, completed by a health care provider, is required for prescription, over-the-counter medications and treatments. This form can be found in your Waskowitz Outdoor Education Center packet, online or from your School Nurse.
4. All Medication Authorization forms, medications, and treatment orders that your child will need while at Waskowitz must be at the school office at least 10 days prior to when your child is scheduled to attend Waskowitz.
a. This allows time for the school nurse to review the orders and medication, instruct teachers about giving medications and correct any problems with the medication orders.
b. The only medications that will be accepted on the day your child leaves for Waskowitz will be medications that were prescribed during the past weekend. These medications and their authorization forms must be at the school office by 8:30am on the day your child leaves for Waskowitz.
5. All Medications taken to Waskowitz must be in the original container and be clearly labeled.
a. Prescription medications must have a current prescription label that matches the provided Medical Authorization Form.
b. Over-the-counter medications must be in the original, sealed container with your child’s name on it. The nurse will create a label that matches the provided Medication Authorization Form.
Waskowitz follows district and federal nutrition guidelines to prepare healthy meals for your child. There are some instances where it is necessary for parents to send supplemental food. If your child has special dietary needs and you are planning to provide supplemental food. Please follow these guidelines:
- All food must be nut free.
- All food must be prepared ahead of time. For example, if you are sending gluten free pasta for a child with gluten sensitivities, the pasta must be cooked ahead of time. Our kitchen staff will heat the prepared food.
- All food must be individually labeled with the child’s name, teacher’s name and the meal it is being supplemented for (ex. Day two breakfast).
Food Allergies: If your child has severe food allergies please contact your child's teacher with information. We do not serve nuts.
Dairy Allergies: Waskowitz provides Soy Milk for students with dairy allergies. If your child needs a different product please provide.
Vegetarian: Waskowitz serves vegetarian food. Please let your teacher know that your child is a vegetarian.
Vegan: Waskowitz does not follow vegan diet restrictions. Please check the menu and send supplemental food for your child if necessary.
Gluten Allergies: We will accommodate celiac disease with documentation from your child’s doctor.
Gluten Sensitivity: Waskowitz will provide gluten free choices with documentation from your child’s doctor for celiac disease. If your child has a gluten sensitivity, please check the menu and provide supplemental food for your child if necessary.
Meredith von Trapp