Families & Students
Thank you for visiting our website prior to your child's visiting Waskowitz Outdoor School. Your child's teacher will be in contact with you well prior to your child's visit with us with all of the information and forms that you will need. Many of these forms are also available online. Please take a look at the Parent Manual and General Information Presentation to help answer many of your questions about your child's trip to the Outdoor School at Waskowitz.
You are also welcome to join us for one of our open houses this year.
September 30th, 2018 12:30-2:30.
March 3rd, 2019 from 12:30-2:30.
All medications must be in their original containers, and be accompanied by the physician orders. The School Nurse will need medication and physician’s orders one FULL week before your child’s scheduled Waskowitz fieldtrip date so the school nurse can complete the necessary review and preparation required to ensure that staff are able to administer medication safely. Students will not be able to attend Waskowitz without that amount of preparation.
Medications brought to school for Waskowitz must meet the criteria listed below:
- Medications include both prescription and over-the-counter medications. Washington laws make no differentiation between over-the-counter (i.e. Benadryl, acetaminophen) and prescription medications (i.e. Ritalin, Amoxicillin). ALL medications must follow these rules.
- All medicine times at the camp are limited to 8:00 a.m., 12:00 p.m., 4:00 p.m., and bedtime. Please have your doctor write for administration for only those times. The outdoor schedule requires your child to be involved in activities at other times. Emergency medications such as inhalers and epinephrine auto injectors are available at all times.
- Medications and inhalers are allowed. State law allows teachers to give eye drops, ear drops, creams or lotions. If your child requires medications given by another route, please call your School Nurse as soon as possible so that we can make the best plans for your child.
- Authorization for medication must include both of these signatures:
- A licensed health professional prescribing within the scope of his or her prescriptive authority
- A parent or guardian
- Medications must be provided in the original container. Prescription medications must have a correct and current prescription label. Over-the-counter medications must be in an original sealed container with your child's name on the box.
- Medications must be NECESSARY to be given at camp. The following are usually not necessary unless special circumstances exist: vitamins, cough drops, acne skin lotions, or herbal preparations.
- Students may carry and self-administer non-prescription sunscreen, but may not share sunscreen with other students. Parents/guardians should write their child’s name on the sunscreen container. Only rub-on sunscreen is permitted; spray sunscreen is not allowed.
Waskowitz follows district and federal nutrition guidelines to prepare healthy meals for your child. There are some instances where it is necessary for parents to send supplemental food. If your child has special dietary needs and you are planning to provide supplemental food. Please follow these guidelines:
- All food must be nut free.
- All food must be prepared ahead of time. For example, if you are sending gluten free pasta for a child with gluten sensitivities, the pasta must be cooked ahead of time. Our kitchen staff will heat the prepared food.
- All food must be individually labeled with the child’s name, teacher’s name and the meal it is being supplemented for (ex. Day two breakfast).
Food Allergies: If your child has severe food allergies please contact your child's teacher with information. We do not serve nuts.
Dairy Allergies: Waskowitz provides Soy Milk for students with dairy allergies. If your child needs a different product please provide.
Vegetarian: Waskowitz serves vegetarian food. Please let your teacher know that your child is a vegetarian.
Vegan: Waskowitz does not follow vegan diet restrictions. Please check the menu and send supplemental food for your child if necessary.
Gluten Allergies: We will accommodate celiac disease with documentation from your child’s doctor.
Gluten Sensitivity: Waskowitz will provide gluten free choices with documentation from your child’s doctor for celiac disease. If your child has a gluten sensitivity, please check the menu and provide supplemental food for your child if necessary.
Meredith von Trapp