Explore K-5 Science Curriculum
In Spring 2023, we are piloting two programs for new K-5 Science instructional materials, Amplify Science and Discovery Education Science Techbook. Both programs support the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) for K-12 science that have been adopted as the Washington State Science Learning Standards. Learn more about NGSS and these two programs below.
We would love to hear your thoughts on how these two programs might meet the needs of our students and community. We plan to adopt one of these programs as our official K-5 science curriculum.
Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
These standards enable teachers to offer all students interactive instruction that promotes analysis and interpretation of data, critical thinking, problem solving, and connections across science disciplines. The short video below and guide for parents highlight the changes in science education as part of the NGSS.
- NGSS Parent Guide: Grades K-2 (English)
- NGSS Guía Para Padres: Grados K-2 (Español)
- NGSS Parent Guide: Grades 3-5 (English)
- NGSS Guía Para Padres: Grados 3-5 (Español)
- Digital Guide: Amplify Science: About the Program
- Website Navigation: 7-Minute Tutorial Video
- General Overview: K-5 Walkthrough Video
Teacher Overview: Planning and Teaching Using Amplify
Amplify Science Online Curriculum Access
Website: my.amplify.com (click the orange Login button)
Discovery Education Science Techbook
- Informational flyer: HighlinePS_.K-5_pptx.pdf
- Digital Guide: Teacher and Student Guides
- Website Navigation: Quick Start Guide
- General Overview: 6-minute Science Techbook Overview
Science Techbook Online Curriculum Access