The Visual and Performing Arts Department provides support for school programming in dance, music, theatre and visual & media arts.
Highline students have a wide variety of arts experiences available through their schools. As a core subject area, Highline has made a commitment to the arts through the Board Policy on Arts Education.
“The Board believes that through arts education, students learn to develop creativity, discipline, perception, perseverance, self-expression, and critical thinking. These capacities are fundamental in preparing students for college, career, and citizenship. The Board further believes that a comprehensive arts education program promotes and strengthens our cultural diversity."
Arts Program Goals
- Music and artistic literacy
- Fine arts competency and achievement
- Access to courses at basic and advanced levels
- Cultural connections
- Self-esteem and self-expression
- Artistic expression and creativity
- Life-long arts appreciation
Benefits of Arts Education
- Higher academic achievement
- Cultural relationships
- Respect for self, family, school and community
- Strong school and parent partnerships
- Leadership and self-confidence
- Collaboration and communication
- Expanded career opportunities
- Skills for a global economy
Parent & Community Involvement
Highline encourages families to support their children’s development in music and the arts. Families and community members can:
- Volunteer in the classroom
- Help students learn music at home
- Encourage exploring and creating visual and media art at home
- Attend school performances and arts events
- Support arts programs through your Parent/Teacher organization
- Share expertise and knowledge of music and arts from your own culture or country of origin
To find out more about arts programming at a particular school, please contact the school directly.