Seal of Biliteracy
Washington State’s Seal of Biliteracy is awarded to graduating seniors who have attained a high level of proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing and listening in one or more world languages in addition to English.
Students demonstrate their proficiency in both English and another through these pathways:
Demonstrate English proficiency by:
- Meet all high school graduation requirements AND
- Meet English Language Arts requirements for graduation, including passing state assessments.
Demonstrate proficiency in a language other than English by:
- Score 3 or higher on Advanced Placement (AP) language test OR
- Score 4 or higher (SL or HL) International Baccalaureate language test OR
- Earn intermediate-mid level or higher on World Language Credit by Proficiency test in all skills (reading, writing, speaking and listening).
How Seal of Biliteracy Recipients are Recognized
- Notation on student’s transcript and seal foil on diploma
- Medallion at graduation
- Certificate of achievement
- School based recognition at awards assembly