The Southern Heights site is the new home of Highline Virtual Academy (HVA) and Innovation Heights Academy (formerly New Start High School). See photos of the updated spaces.
Critical Needs & Capital Improvements
The 2022 bond provides $17 million to replenish our fund for critical needs and capital improvements, including:
- Replenishing the capital fund for emergency repairs -- as needed
- Roofing, painting, carpeting, heating/ventilation -- ongoing (summers)
- Sylvester Field synthetic turf & track -- initially anticipated summer/fall 2023
- UPDATE: We expect construction to take place summer 2024. Read more about additional features, funded with a grant and donation, and increased environmental requirements.
- Transportation/Building L replacement -- planning is ongoing
- Remodel site for Highline Virtual Academy -- summer 2023
- Maritime High School - district contribution -- site search is ongoing
Without a capital fund, critical needs and emergency repairs must be financed out of our general fund, which pays for everything it takes to educate students, including teachers' salaries, textbooks and educational technology. Our general fund also pays for all costs of operating schools, such as utilities and regular maintenance of our facilities.
The 2022 bond is funding synthetic turf and a new track at Sylvester Middle School. Read about additional features, funding, environmental requirements and a revised timeline.