On Friday, August 18, join us to celebrate the historic groundbreaking ceremony for a new Tyee High School at 3:15 p.m. Please RSVP below to help us plan and to receive event updates.
Tyee Groundbreaking Ceremony
Friday, August 18
Location: Behind Tyee High School on the grass athletic field
Address: 4424 S 188th St, SeaTac
- Speakers, including U.S. Congressman Adam Smith
- Ice cream truck with catered cold treats while they last!
- Cold bottled water
- Tents and some seating will be provided.
- Learn about the school design and two-year construction plan.
- Mementos from the old Tyee will be available while supplies last -- pieces of the stage floor with commemorative labels.
- Interpretation assistance will be available in Spanish, Somali and American Sign Language.
- Transportation from the parking lot to the groundbreaking site will be available via a shuttle van for those with mobility challenges. The van will drive back and forth from the further parking areas to assist people.
- An event information map is included at the end of this page.
The map image indicates that guests attending the Tyee Groundbreaking Ceremony should enter the site from the main entrance at the southeast corner of the Tyee High School site.
Parking will be available in the usual parking lots west, south and east of the round buildings. Parking will also be available in the Valley Ridge Athletic Field parking areas. If overflow parking is needed, guests may find spots available at SeaTac City Hall.
Please note that a temporary construction fence is in place blocking off access to the Tyee parking lot from the entrance between Chinook Middle School and Tyee. While parking may be available in the Chinook parking lots, you may need to walk to the main Tyee parking lot entrance to access the site.
The event site is marked on the map with a shovel at the south end of the old football field, near the south goalposts. The entrance to the football field and track will be open on the west side, and the walking surface is the old cinder track surface with a slight incline from the parking lot to the field.
We expect that pedestrians will be able to walk through the Tyee courtyards, if needed. Please pay attention to any construction signage and closed areas.
Pedestrians may also access the football field from the Valley Ridge playfields, north of the Tyee High School tennis courts.