School Naming Committees
We appreciate the community members who volunteered to serve on the naming committees for the new middle school and the new elementary school.
The school board selected names for our two new schools on April 18, 2018 from the short list of names submitted by each naming committee.
Des Moines Elementary School
Glacier Middle School
The work of each committee included community outreach, a public survey and discussions that resulted in short lists of three to five names submitted to the school board in late March 2018. The school board selected the names of the new facilities from the submitted lists, according to our district Naming Facilities Policy and Procedure. Schools in Highline must be named after people or geographic features.
- Names Submitted to the School Board
- Community Feedback & Naming Survey
- New Elementary School Naming Committee
- New Middle School Naming Committee
The Middle School Naming Committee and the Elementary School Naming Committee submitted the following list of names to the school board for consideration:
New Elementary School
- Massey Creek Elementary
- Zenith Park Elementary
- Des Moines Elementary
- Saltwater Elementary
New Middle School
- Barack Obama Middle School
- Duwamish Middle School
- Glacier Middle School
- Sieke Middle School
- Sunset Middle School
Between October 2017 and January 2018, naming committee members solicited names from neighbors, staff, parents, students and alumni through face-to-face conversations, meetings and through social media.
A naming survey received 2,400 responses (712 family members, 466 community members, 404 current district staff, 41 former district staff, 325 alumni and 292 students). Community feedback helped the naming committees narrow their lists to three to five names each to submit to the school board.
The following names were included on the survey:
New Elementary School: Des Moines, Marine View, Massey Creek, Poverty Bay, Saltwater, Sound View, Waterland and Zenith Park.
New Middle School: Barack Obama, Dolores Huerta, Duwamish, Ellen Ochoa, Glacier, Malala Yousafzai, Michelle Obama, Sonya Sotomayor, Sunset and Seike.
- Diana Garcia, director of education specification & transition planning
- Larcy Amorelle, Highline certificated staff and Des Moines resident
- Allison Williams, Des Moines Elementary alumnus, Des Moines resident and current Des Moines staff member
- Barbara Barrios-Holden, Des Moines parent and resident
- Tad Doviak, Des Moines resident
- Vicki Nichols, Des Moines resident
The committee met from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m. at Des Moines Elementary on the following Thursdays:
- October 26
- November 30
- January 11
- February 29
- March 1
- Diana Garcia, director of education specifications & transition planning
- Robin Landers, Glacier High School alumnus
- Marta Hood, neighbor, district family, district staff
- Terri Sankey, neighbor, former district staff, Glacier High School alumnus
- Julie Kastien, Sylvester Middle School teacher, district alumnus
- Sheila Murray, former Glacier High School teacher
- Debbie Strayer, neighbor, district staff, district family member
- Sonya Vasilieff, Glacier High School alumnus, longtime neighbor
- Janis Landon, former district staff, former neighbor, district family, Glacier High School alumni, Highline Heritage Museum volunteer
- Kim Meschter, district staff
- Roger Kadeg, neighbor, Glacier High School alumnus
This committee met from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. at Cedarhurst Elementary on the following Tuesdays:
- October 24
- November 28
- January 9
- January 30
- February 27
- March 6