2022-23 CFAC Progress Report
Our community-led Capital Facilities Advisory Committee (CFAC) concluded its 2022-23 work session this spring by forwarding a living priority list of schools needing replacement to Superintendent Ivan Duran and the school board, with plans to revisit and update the list in future years.
CFAC members unanimously approved this motion at their March 22, 2023, meeting:
“CFAC supports this priority order and recommends it as a living priority list to the school board, with the understanding that future information may develop, and the priority order may need to be updated.”
- CHOICE Academy (Woodside Site)
- Big Picture (Manhattan site)
- Sylvester Middle School
- Chinook Middle School
- Cascade Middle School
- Valley View Early Learning
- Southern Heights Site*
- Hilltop Elementary School
- Seahurst Elementary School
- Beverly Park Elementary School
*Note: The Southern Heights Site will host Highline Virtual Academy & New Start High School starting September 2023, after some remodelling work this summer, funded by the 2022 bond.
The living priority list was created based on CFAC members’ cumulative ranking points for each older school site to be used by students in 2023-24, if not already funded for replacement with the 2022 bond. CFAC members based their priorities on the combined data and information they were provided throughout the year, including:
- Building condition scores provided by independent, certified building inspectors
- Age of buildings
- Enrollment report and projections
- Permanent capacity, number of teaching stations, square footage, acreage
- Photos & opportunities provided this year and last year to tour new and old school buildings
- Special programs information
- Future district plans, directions and needs (as known)
- Size of impact (number of students)
In addition to offering site tours, four 2-hour CFAC meetings were held on:
- September 28, 2022
- November 30, 2022
- January 25, 2023
- March 22, 2023
Community members Omaha Sternberg and Shane Stender served as CFAC co-chairs in 2022-23.
We are planning two CFAC meetings next school year in the boardroom at the central office, 15675 Ambaum Boulevard South in Burien:
- Wednesday, October 25, 6:00-8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 27, 6:00-8:00 p.m.
Prior to the next school year, we will refill vacated CFAC seats in each high school service area through an annual lottery (50 percent) and by appointment (50 percent) from schools (high school students) and staff-, government- and community-based organizations.
Future topics of focus for CFAC members will include:
- Review priority list of projects using Highline’s Equity Lens tool, prior to recommending a future bond package
- Receive updates regarding:
- Capital projects & educational programming
- New strategic plan
- Enrollment trends
With the approval of our 2022 school bond to rebuild Evergreen and Tyee high schools and Pacific Middle School, Highline is beginning a new construction phase. School bond elections typically run every 4-6 years, when needed and recommended.
It is critical that a group of community members stays informed on Highline's capital facility needs, enrollment trends, educational goals and bond projects. Returning CFAC members maintain historical knowledge, and new CFAC members bring new questions and insight to our successful, community-led planning process. In between bond recommendation years, CFAC members grow their understanding of our current and emerging capital needs, requesting data and becoming trusted experts. It takes time to plan for the future, and it is possible to have emerging or unexpected facilities needs arise. We deeply appreciate the service of past and present CFAC members.
Lottery Open Now
If you would like a chance to serve on a community-led committee to continue planning for future facility needs across Highline, you are invited to enter our community lottery for Highline residents.
This is your first opportunity to enter your name in the lottery for open seats on the Capital Facilities Advisory Committee for 2023-24. A public drawing will be held in September, and you will be notified of the results.