Our community-led Capital Facilities Advisory Committee (CFAC) met on February 27. They reviewed photos of the aging buildings they toured and started looking at baseline costs for replacing the three schools that will begin the design process this year.
The bond approved in 2016 includes funding to start the design process for Evergreen and Tyee high schools and Pacific Middle School, as recommended by CFAC.
Items CFAC members discussed February 27:
- Information on the final Challenge Program feeder pattern changes.
- Building condition ratings -- Members agreed to rely on baseline 2015 ICOS scores for their recommendations.
- Tour debriefing session -- Members viewed a slideshow of building photos.
- Baseline costs for current school building projects were presented as well as average costs per square foot.
- Priorities: Members did an initial prioritization exercise to provide guidance and input to the co-chairs and the group.
The next CFAC meeting is Wednesday, March 13 from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. in the boardroom at Highline Public Schools' central office, 15675 Ambaum Blvd SW in Burien. The public is welcome to attend and listen.
CFAC members plan to refine their priorities and options so they can provide recommendations to the school board in May that could drive the next school construction bond.