Find Out Why, Where & When
This summer, North Hill Elementary and White Center Heights Elementary schools each will get an additional permanent building housing new classrooms and restrooms. The new, free-standing buildings are customized modular units constructed off-site and installed on foundations. They are not portable and not temporary.
Expect construction fencing and early site work to begin in May. The construction area will be kept secure and fenced off. The new buildings arrive in July/August. The new buildings will be in use when school begins September 4. The new building at North Hill Elementary will contain three classrooms. The new building at White Center Heights Elementary will contain four new classrooms.
Why are we installing additional buildings and when?
Highline was awarded a grant from the state Legislature to fund construction of 13 new classrooms. This provides classroom space to lower class size in kindergarten through third grade.
Four Highline elementary schools will receive additional classrooms. District staff selected the schools based on projected growth, current needs, available space on site and access to utilities. Two buildings open this fall and two more in fall 2020.
Opening Fall 2019
- North Hill Elementary, 3 classrooms
- White Center Heights Elementary School, 4 classrooms
Opening Fall 2020
- Hilltop Elementary School, 3 classrooms
- McMicken Heights Elementary School, 3 classrooms
What is the location and layout of the new buildings?
North Hill Elementary
At North Hill, the new building will be located west of the north wing of the main building. Entry doors will open into a foyer area that leads to the three classrooms, restrooms and additional workspace.
White Center Heights Elementary
At White Center Heights, the new modular building will be located southeast of the main building, between the parking lot and the two existing portable buildings. Entry doors will open into a foyer area that leads to four classrooms, restrooms and additional workspace. Site map coming soon.
What is the approximate construction timeline?
Late May: Construction fencing goes up and surveying begins, followed by work to prepare a building pad and install underground utilities. (May 20-North Hill; May 28-White Center Heights)
- Late June/Early July: Work on the foundation begins. This is a month-long process to create the foundation and set the building.
- July/August: Custom, modular building arrives, is installed on permanent foundation and finish work begins. Utility work continues, to provide services to the new building.
- September 4: School begins with three new classrooms at North Hill and four new classrooms at White Center Heights.