Project Update | Highline High School
The development of the design for Highline High School is 100% complete. Bassetti Architects will start creating the construction documents after the process of reconciling costs is finished. The project remains on schedule to open in fall 2021.
- Bassetti Architects submitted 100% complete design development documents on June 27, 2018. Next up: reconcile costs, then create construction documents.
- Premier Electric was awarded the electrical contractor/contruction manager (EC/CM) contract by Skanska with district approval.
- Permitting: The public comment period for the land use application ended with one comment regarding construction disruption concerns. The City of Burien held a public hearing, and the project team anticipates the hearing examiner will issue a determination within two weeks. The variance for the building height was approved by the City of Burien.
- The contractor, Skanska and our cost estimating consultant submitted cost estimates based on the completed design development phase. The difference between the estimated amounts are being reconciled.
- The project team found ways to reduce the cost during development of the design through value engineering efforts. These efforts will continue through the construction document phase.
- The construction start date has been adjusted to reflect changes to the Highline High School move date to the Olympic Interim School. There will be no impact to Highline High School's opening date of fall 2021.
- The design continues to be on schedule. We anticipate the notice to proceed to construction documents will come in late August.
- Meetings will be held with the City of Burien to continue coordinating HHS construction with Moshier Field parking, tennis courts location, code integration, logistics during construction and right-of-way improvements.
- Geotechnical exploration will take place in August to further the civil design.
Square Footage: 225,000 s.f.
Based on project report submitted by Vanir Construction. Vanir is the program manager for the four major bond projects.