Committee on Allocating Resources Equitably (CARE)
Provide guidance on how to spend a portion of COVID relief funds in Highline schools.
CARE will be composed of 25 members who are students, parents, community members and staff. More than 50 percent of members will be students, families and community members. Membership selection will be a mixture of appointment and lottery.
committee membership by appointment
- Family Representatives (2 total)
- 1 Highline Special Needs PTA Representative
- 1 Highline Council PTSA Representative
- Municipality Representatives (5 total)
- 1 City of Burien Representative
- 1 City of SeaTac Representative
- 1 City of Normandy Park Representative
- 1 City of Des Moines Representative
- 1 King County Council Representative
- Staff Representatives (5 total)
- 1 Teamsters Representative
- 1 HEA Representative
- 1 Elementary Principal Representative
- 1 Secondary Principal Representative
- 1 Alternative/School of Choice Principal
committee membership by lottery
- Student Representatives (5 total)
- Community Representatives (8 total)
Calls for the eight community positions will be sent out via the website, email, bilingual family liaisons, social media and press release. We will draw names via a lottery process if more than eight people apply for the community representative positions.
Staff Member Support
The committee will be supported by the Chief Financial Officer and Director of Budget. The committee will also be supported by the following Highline staff members:
- Chief Academic Officer or Designee
- Chief Talent Officer or Designee
- Chief Engagement & Partnership Officer or Designee
These staff members will support the committee members and will not be able to vote on how to spend funds.
The committee will meet up to four times between September and December 2021. All meetings will be held from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. The first meeting will be held virtually on Zoom. Based on committee member feedback and public health guidelines, the additional meetings may be held in person.
Here is the meeting schedule:
- September 8, 2021
- October 13, 2021
- November 10, 2021
- December 8, 2021
Meetings in 2022 will be scheduled if necessary. Interpretation will be provided, as necessary, to facilitate the full participation of all committee members.
Committee Member Expectations
- Value and respect the diversity of Highline Public Schools.
- Work cooperatively and respectfully with committee members.
- Actively participate in committee meetings and tasks.
We will soon be seeking individuals to serve on CARE. Check back at the end of May to submit your name to serve on the commitee.