4th of July
We hope you have a wonderful and relaxing 4th of July weekend. Please stay safe and remember to follow city ordinances on fireworks. Fireworks are illegal in many cities and are not allowed on school grounds.
Planning for Fall
Thank you to all who participated in our recent Thoughtexchange where we asked what are your biggest concerns about returning to school in the fall? Check out the top thoughts and explore the results.
You still have time to give feedback in our most recent Thoughtexchange where we ask what thoughts and questions do you have about our draft plan for fall. The exchange is open through the weekend, and closes midnight on Sunday, July 5. SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS
Resources for Talking About Race with Children
Sesame Street hosted a town hall about racism, recent protests, embracing diversity and being more empathetic and understanding. Watch the episode.
Seattle Times Education Lab shared these resources for talking with kids about race.
- Five tips in five minutes on how to talk to your children about race and brutality from a Black psychologist from The Root
- Long-term strategies for helping children understand and confront racial bias from Healthy Children, an American Academy of Pediatrics site
- A short list of books to help start the conversations from Achievement First, a network of charter schools
Summer Learning Opportunities
Here are some community-based summer learning programs for students:
- Young Women Empowered's Summer Programs Reimagined offers six-day, intensive weekly programs, drop-ins and one-on-one options on creative topics such as murals, nature art, journaling and more.
- South End Stories: Healing through History and Creativity is a culturally responsive learning program that builds collaboration, critical thinking and creativity through playful learning, storytelling and arts. Registration is now open.
- STEM Paths Innovation Network and Renton Innovation Zone Partnerships are offering free STEM classes in July and August for first and second graders. Register soon for classes.