Health and Safety
This guidance will be updated as plans are refined and public health guidelines change.
The safety of our staff and our students is our priority.
Our safety expectations and plan are based on current guidance from local, state and federal public health agencies. Each layer of protection keeps us safer.
- The state has mandated masks for everyone unless they have a medical exception. Local school boards do not have authority to make masks optional.
- We will follow state guidelines for three-foot distancing to the extent possible in classroom seating and throughout the building.
- Students and staff must stay home if they have any COVID-like symptoms.
- All staff will be vaccinated (except those with a medical or religious exemption.)
- Students will sanitize hands before entering school and throughout the school day.
- Rooms are ventilated to meet or exceed state and federal standards.
Reporting a Positive COVID Case
- Families must report a positive case in their household to their teacher, principal or school nurse
- School nurses will follow up with the student/family for symptom and contact information
- A student or staff member who has been exposed will be contacted by the school
A classroom may transition to distance learning for 10 days from the last date an individual with a positive test was in class when:
- Three or more students or staff in same room/area test positive for COVID-19
- The cases have symptoms that start within 14 days of each other
- A student or staff member has been in close contact (within 6 feet for 15 minutes or more) with a person who has confirmed positive test result
- The cases are not associated with one another in another setting (household, club, etc.)
Data show that transmission in schools is the same or lower than in the community. Our experience in Highline is consistent with this. Since November when we began serving students with special needs in person, we have had no COVID transmission from classroom contacts.
Our COVID Dashboard shows all reported staff and student cases, starting January 1, 2021.