Families choose whether to opt for in-person instruction or continue in distance learning.
Elementary and Special Education Hybrid learning
- November 9, 2020: Students K-12 served in Integrated Learning Center (ILC) and Community Based Services (CBS)
- March 11, 2021: Pre-K, Kindergarten, grade 1, and students K-12 in our Intensive Academic Center (IAC)
- March 22, 2021: Grades 2 and 3
- April 1, 2021: Grades 4 and 5
Middle and High School hybrid learning
- April 19, 2021: All middle and high school grades will began hybrid learning for those who choose it.
In the secondary hybrid model, students will attend school in person two days per week, rotating through classes in a three-period day. They will learn from home on the three days of the week they are not at school. For more details, please go to our Secondary Instructional Model webpage.
Families received a commitment form to choose whether their students will return in person or stay fully remote. The deadline to respond was March 25.
Public health guidance on returning to schools
Our primary guidance is the Washington State Department of Health (DOH) Decision Tree for schools. (This information presented below in an ADA-accessible format.) Key data points are:
- Number of of positive cases/100,000 residents/14 days
- Test positivity rate
- Trend in cases or hospitalization rates
Highline’s current status is found here and updated at least weekly.
- SECONDARY: When will grades 6-12 start hybrid learning?
- SECONDARY: How do students opt in to hybrid learning and what is the deadline?
- SECONDARY: What will be different about secondary schedules in hybrid learning?
- ELEMENTARY: What is the schedule for in-person instruction?
- ELEMENTARY: Why are hybrid students only in person for 2.25 hours a day?
- Once we choose hybrid or remote, are we locked into that or can we change models later?
- Will transportation be provided?
- How will school meals be provided?
- Will students from the same family have the same scheduled times in school?
- How many students will be in a classroom during in-person instruction?
- Will transportation be provided between childcare sites and school?
- Will before and after school childcare be available?