Remote Options for 2021-22
Elementary Remote Option
Elementary students choosing remote instruction will be assigned to an online classroom that will likely include students from other schools. The teacher may also be from another school. Students will continue to be affiliated with their home school and will be invited to participate in that school's activities throughout next year.
PreK students will receive four days of remote instruction, 2.5 hours a day.
Students will be able to access dual language, English Language Learner, special education and highly capable services remotely.
The elementary remote option will be available only for 2021-22 school year. For the 2022-23 school year, elementary students will return to in-person instruction; students going into grades 4 and 5 will have a remote option for learning through the Highline Virtual Academy.
In Fall 2022-23:
- Students will return to the school where they were enrolled for the 2020-21 school year for in-person instruction.
- Incoming Kindergarten students will be enrolled in their neighborhood school for in-person instruction.
- Students entering 6th grade in 2022-23 will be enrolled in the middle school in their service area or can apply to a choice school
- Students entering grades 4, 5, or 6 in 2022-23 can apply to Highline Virtual Academy
Middle & High School Remote Options
SPECIAL EDUCATION PROGRAMS
Students receiving special education services in our EBC, IAC and ILC programs, students in dual language and English Language Learners will be grouped with others across the district in similar programs. Their instruction may include access to live instruction via Zoom, concurrent instruction with in-person peers via Zoom, remote instruction with other remote peers and courses taught through Edgenuity.
hIGHLINE vIRTUAL aCADEMY
Remote instruction for middle and high school students not in special programs will be through Highline Virtual Academy (HVA). HVA is a new online school that will continue to operate beyond 2021-22 on an ongoing basis.
HVA instruction will be different from the distance learning students have experienced during the pandemic. Core instruction will be delivered through Edgenuity, an online learning platform. Highline teachers will provide virtual instruction for small group and individual support. Face-to-face weekly virtual sessions with staff and students will address social-emotional learning.
HVA is a Highline choice school. Students must enroll through SchoolMint.
For the 2022-23 school year:
- Students enrolled in HVA in 2021-22 will have the option of continuing at HVA or returning to their previous school.
- Students served in special programs and accessing a remote option will return to their previous school/program.