Highline Public Schools
15675 Ambaum Blvd. SW Burien,WA 98166

Office Hours:

Monday-Friday: 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Transfer Requests


Micaela White
Transfer Requests 

In-District Transfer Requests

Use the in-district transfer request form to transfer between schools in Highline Public Schools.

The In-District Transfer Request form is available online or at the district central office.  Esta solicitud de transferencia dentro del distrito también está disponible en español. 

Submit completed In-District Transfer requests to student placement office for processing. You may return the completed form by fax to 206-631-3383, scan and email to student placement, or drop it off at the district central office.

Families who wish to apply for their student to attend a school other than their neighborhood school must apply for an in-district transfer. In-district transfer requests must be submitted between January 2 and March 1. Families will be notified by April 1 of approval or denial of the request. All transfers will be approved or denied based upon the transfer priorities outlined in the Student Assignment and Transfer procedures 3132P. Please note that transportation is not provided for transfers, except in circumstances noted in 3132P.

For additional information you can also review Policy 3132

International Baccalaureate (IB) Transfer Requests

IB transfer requests are now closed.

Requests are accepted during the month of January. Please check back on our website in January 2019 to apply for IB for the 2019-2020 school year.  // Las solicitudes de transferencia de IB ahora están cerradas. Las solicitudes se aceptan durante el mes de enero. Vuelva a visitar nuestro sitio web en enero de 2019 para solicitar el IB para el año lectivo 2019-2020.

Students living in the Evergreen, Highline and Tyee service areas should use the IB transfer form to apply for the IB program.

Submit completed application to Student Placement Office for processing. You may return the completed form by fax to 206-631-3383, scan and email to Student Placement, or drop it off at the Central Office.

For the International Baccalaureate program at Mount Rainier High School, up to 15 seats per graduating year will be reserved for each of the high school service areas (Highline, Tyee and Evergreen). Transfers are accepted January 2 to January 31. Students may request a transfer for their freshman year. They must agree to a four-year academic commitment created with school staff and must take a minimum of four IB courses per year starting in their junior year to be considered for transfer eligibility. If more than 15 students request a transfer from each service area, a lottery system will be implemented prior to March 1.

Attending School in Another District

(students leaving Highline Public Schools or requesting non-resident enrollment)

Inter-District/Choice Transfer Requests
If you are a resident of the Highline Public School District and wish to request attendance in another School District please print the Inter-district/choice transfer application or visit the district central office. Si usted reside en el Distrito escolar de Highline y desea asistir a otro distrito escolar, por favor imprima la solicitud de transferencia fuera del distrito/Choice disponible o visite la oficina central del distrito.

Submit completed application to Student Placement Office for processing. You may return the completed form by fax to 206-631-3383, scan and email to Student Placement, or drop it off at the district central office.

A completed inter-district/choice transfer agreement does not withdraw your student from the current school or resident district. If the inter-district/choice transfer is approved, the parent must formally withdraw the student from the Highline School they are attending. If the inter-district/choice transfer is denied by the requested district, the student will continue enrollment in Highline Public Schools.

Admission for Non-Resident Students

Non-resident students are those who do not live within Highline Public School boundaries. Highline Public Schools considers enrollment of nonresident students as long as the anticipated needs of the resident students are met first, accepting non–resident student does not create a financial hardship for HPS, and the student’s academic, attendance and behavior records meet appropriate standards established by the district.

Non-resident assignments are for one academic year only. State law requires that non-resident students obtain a Choice Transfer Request form from the district of residence each year to apply for non-resident enrollment. New applications for non-residents who wish to attend Highline Public Schools must be submitted by the deadline specified below. Additional documentation must be presented to the Student Placement Office in order to be considered for non-resident enrollment in Highline Public Schools. The following documentation is required for an application to be considered complete: 

  • Choice Transfer Request form: Completed at the District of residence.
  • Attendance: Verification that your student does not have any attendance or truancy issues in the past year. Please provide the number of unexcused absences and tardies for the 2017/2018 school year.
  • Discipline: Verification that your student had not had any disciplinary issues in the past year.  Please provide a report of disciplinary actions from the school for the 2017/2018 school year.
  • Special Education Records: Current IEP (Individual Education Plan) (if applicable)

Note:  We may request further documentation

Non-resident students who wish to attend HPS must submit their request by the deadline specified below.

  • Renewal applications (student currently enrolled wishing to return) will be accepted between January 2 and March 1.
  • The new application will be accepted March 1 through June 15.
  • Applications submitted prior to March 1 will be held for your convenience and considered to have been received on March 1. Applications submitted after June 15 will automatically be denied. 

An application is not considered “submitted” until it is complete, including all necessary attachments and documents.

Review the Non-Resident Application Parent/Guardian Checklist (Solicitud para estudiantes No Residentes) and Non-Resident Application and Eligibility Information form. 

Current Highline Public Schools students who move out of the district during the school year need to provide a Choice Transfer Request form from the new resident school district to remain in Highline Public Schools through the end of the school year. Please contact the Student Placement Office at 206-631-3065 for more information.

Important Information 
District policy governs whether or not a non-resident student may attend Highline Public Schools. Factors taken into consideration include space availability; program capacity and/or cost; history of discipline; and concerns with attendance or behavior.

If the non-resident application is denied, the parent/guardian may appeal to the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction in Olympia. For more information regarding the appeal process please visit the OSPI website.

Admission for Schools Requiring Applications

Big Picture Schools, CHOICE Academy, Raisbeck Aviation High School (RAHS) and Waskowitz Outdoor Leadership & Service (WELS will have applications posted on each school’s website. Students must submit a complete application during the application window. All completed applications will be processed in accordance with the admission process for schools requiring an application in 3132P.

  • Big Picture
  • CHOICE Academy
  • RAHS
  • WELS