Transfer Requests

  • Micaela White
    Transfer Requests

    In-District Transfer Requests

    (between schools within Highline Public Schools)

    Families who wish to apply for their student to attend a school other than their neighborhood school must apply for an in-district transfer. In-district transfer requests must be submitted between January 3 and March 1. The In-District Transfer Request form is available here or at the district administration office.

    Esta forma también está disponible en español: solicitud de transferencia dentro del distrito.

    All transfers will be approved or denied based upon the transfer priorities outlined in Policy 3132P. All families who submit a in-district transfer form between January 3 and March 1 will be notified by April 1 of approval or denial.

    Please note that transportation is not provided except in circumstances noted in Policy 3132.

    International Baccalaureate (IB) Transfer Requests

    (for students living in the Evergreen, Highline and Tyee service areas requesting IB)

    IB transfer requests will be accepted January 2 - January 31, 2018. The IB transfer form will be available January 2, 2018.

    For the International Baccalaureate program at Mount Rainier High School, up to 15 seats per graduating year will be reserved for each of the high school service areas (Highline, Tyee and Evergreen). Transfers are accepted January 2 to January 31. Students may request a transfer for their freshman year. They must agree to a four year academic commitment created with school staff and must take a minimum of four IB courses per year starting in their junior year to be considered for transfer eligibility. If more than 15 students request a transfer from each campus, a lottery system will be implemented prior to March 1.

    Las solicitudes de transferencia para el programa International Baccalaureate (IB) serán aceptadas del 2 al 31 de enero. El formulario de solicitud estará disponible el 2 de enero del 2018.


    Attending School in Another District

    (students leaving Highline Public Schools)

    Inter-District/Choice Transfer Requests
    Print the Inter-district/choice transfer application available here or at the district administration office. Submit completed application to Student Placement Office for processing. You may return the completed form by fax to 206.631.3383, scan/email to Student Placement, or drop it by our office. A completed inter-district/choice transfer agreement does not withdraw your student from your current school or the district. If the inter-district/choice transfer is approved, the parent must formally withdraw from the Highline school they are attending. If the inter-district/choice transfer is denied by the requested district, the student will continue enrollment in Highline Public Schools.

    Admission for Non-Resident Students
    Highline Public Schools considers enrollment of nonresident students as long as the anticipated needs of the resident students are met first, accepting non –resident student does not create a financial hardship for HPS, and the student’s academic, attendance and behavior records meet appropriate standards established by the district. Non-resident students are those who don’t live within Highline Public School boundaries.

    Non-resident assignments are for one academic year only. State law requires that non-resident students obtain a Choice Transfer Request form from the district of residence each year to apply for non-resident enrollment. The transfer request of non-residents who wish to attend Highline Public Schools must be submitted by the deadline specified below.

    • Renewal applications will be accepted between January 3 and March 1.
    • New applications will be accepted March 1 through June 15.
    • For students currently not attending Highline Public Schools, the following documentation must be presented to the Highline School District Student Placement Office
      • Attendance: Number of unexcused absences and tardies
      • Discipline: Verification that your student has not had any disciplinary issues in the past year
      • Inclusive Educations Students: Current IEP (Individual Education Plan)

    A link to the Non-Resident Application Checklist and Non-Resident Acceptance Standards is available here or at the district administration office.

    Current Highline Public Schools students who move out of the district during the school year need to provide a Choice Transfer Request form from their new school district to remain in Highline Public Schools through the end of the school year. Please contact the Student Placement Office at 206-631-3065 for more information.

    Important Information 
    District policy governs whether or not a non-resident student may attend Highline Public Schools. Factors taken into consideration include space availability; program capacity and/or cost; history of suspensions or expulsions; and concerns with attendance or behavior.

    If the non-resident application is denied, the parent/guardian may appeal to the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction in Olympia at (360) 725-6133.

    Admission for Schools Requiring Applications

    Big Picture Schools, CHOICE Academy and Raisbeck Aviation High School (RAHS) will have applications posted on each school’s website starting in January. Students must submit a complete application during the application window (January). All completed applications will be processed in accordance with the admission process for schools requiring an application in Policy 3132P.