Do you know a child who will be five years old on or before August 31? If so, now's the time to register for kindergarten.
Kindergarten enrollment for the 2017-2018 school year starts January 17.
The first 500 families to register will receive two complimentary tickets to Woodland Park Zoo!
After the tickets are gone, students who enroll early will receive a new book! They will have access to free kindergarten readiness programs and materials. This includes our Kindergarten Readiness Kit and Guidelines for Families, PreK Play and Learn, and Kindergarten Jump Start.
To prepare students for success on day one of kindergarten, we offer a number of kindergarten readiness programs to students who register early. Here is an overview:
- PreK Play and Learn: This free program is geared for students and families who haven’t had access to preschool. It will be offered in several neighborhoods within Highline starting next month.
- School-based Events: Many of our schools offer events in the Spring to get to know incoming kindergarten students. Students and their families have a chance to visit and tour their school for next year, meet kindergarten teachers, the principal, and get information about school events.
- Kindergarten Jump Start: All incoming kindergarten students are invited to participate in Jump Start on August 21-25. The free week-long instructional program is designed to prepare students to make a successful transition into kindergarten and the K-12 system.
Students must be registered for kindergarten to attend these programs and events.
We also encourage families to work with their students at home. To help, we've created the Kindergarten Readiness Guidelines
. These guidelines are a parent resource designed to help families prepare children for kindergarten. This document does not need to be completed and turned in at the school, but rather is for parents to keep as a guide to kindergarten readiness.
What You Need to Know About Registration:
If your child will be five years old on or before August 31, 2017, he or she is eligible to register for the 2017-2018 school year. To enroll, please visit your neighborhood school during regular school hours beginning January 17. If you need help identifying your neighborhood school, use the WebQuery tool
or please call 206-631-3003.
When you enroll, it is important to bring the following items:
- Your child’s birth certificate
- Proof of your address (This can be a rental agreement, purchase agreement, or utility bill.)
- Your child’s immunization records
- Two emergency contacts, including addresses and phone numbers
Please contact the Early Learning Department for more details about kindergarten enrollment, PreK Play and Learn, and Kindergarten Jump Start at 206.631.3164.