Supporting Immigrant Students
- We will continue to educate every student in our district regardless of immigration status, which is our obligation under federal law.
- We will never ask or keep records of a student’s immigration status.
- We will never release a student’s confidential education records without a parent’s permission.
- We will continue to refer families to resources regarding their legal rights and to organizations that can assist them with immigration issues.
- We will keep emergency contact forms up to date with the latest information provided by families, including back-up contacts should the student’s parent/guardian be detained by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents.
- Direct the agent to the school office, as you would any law enforcement officer.
- Do not allow access to the school without the permission of the school administrator.
- If you believe an officer has violated a student’s rights, report it to the superintendent immediately, who will file a report with the Office of Civil Rights and Civil Liberties of the Department of Homeland Security.
- Call the superintendent’s office immediately and we will send assistance to the school.
- Attempt to contact the parents or guardians of any students involved.
- Require officers to present ID and a warrant, and get copies of both.
- Do not provide student education records unless presented with a court order or subpoena.
- Report any suspected violation of students’ rights to the superintendent’s office.
Please be assured your student’s safety is our top priority.